Sunday, January 27, 2008

What I'm Entitled To

Today's weigh in: 204.6 (NEW LOW!!)

Hey, that's a new low!! After almost a month of going back and forth between 207 and 209 then finally getting down to a new low that was only .2 lb less than what it had been that feels pretty damn good. Go me. It took me longer than I wanted to get there, but by practicing what I preach, I got there. I added some new fitness goals for February to the right side of the page. I chose February 24 because it's the last Sunday of the month, and that's when I'll have time to test myself if I haven't hit my goals prior to that. That's not the point of today's blog though. This is:

I was at work yesterday, and one of the girls I work with brought in bags of food from McDonald's for herself and a bunch of other people. Nine months and ninety-four pounds into this thing, I still love the taste of fast food even though I don't eat it much anymore, maybe like once every two months or so when I don't really have an option, but just the smell got me thinking about how good a quarter pounder would taste. I mentioned this to one of my co-workers and he looked at me and said "Just go get yourself some on your lunch. With the amount of weight you've lost you're entitled to every once in awhile."

I hear this attitude a lot, and granted anyone who has the six or seven bucks for a freaking value meal has the right to buy one, but to me it's this type of attitude that holds so many people back when they attempt to do what I've done. Why go run a five k race and burn five hundred calories if you're going to eat a thousand calories worth of crap when you get done? Just skip the run and eat a sensible meal at that point, and you're probably better off. Then again, haven't I earned something through all of my hard work? What's in this for me? Sure, I'm thinner, but what comes along with it? I have given myself several new privileges. Here's what I'm entitled to.

I'm entitled to...

..take my shirt off in public without shame. That gut down there doesn't look anywhere near as bad as it used to.

...take myself seriously. I used to be the guy who talked a big game and did nothing. Now I do things when I feel the need to. Losing the amount of weight I have has taught me a lot about hard work and determination.

...continue doing what I do. I don't have to eat crap and go back to my old habits if I don't want to. I've learned what to do and how to get things done. I don't have to have a freaking double quarter pounder just because it smells good.

...get pissed off if I'm doing the right thing and results aren't going my way. I get frustrated sometimes when I hit a plateau like the one I just moved past and people keep telling me not to be mad about it. Look, thanks for the encouragement but, seriously, up yours. You expect a paycheck when you do your job at work right? My smaller gut and lower number are my paycheck. If it's not there, I get pissed off about it. Offering reassurance is good, but people who tell me not to get upset suck.

...and that's about all I'm entitled to. It seems like enough though, don't you think?

5 comments:

layla said...

excellent post! Its easy to fall into that trap, the entitlement mindset after you've lost your weight. you spelt out your true entitlements right there... and i thoroughly agree!

Rob Tucker said...

This is one of the best posts I've seen come out of the Coalition, and that's not a knock on anyone.

Great post, Jimbo.

Ripx180 said...

Yeah good post Jim. I think you are entitled to the things you listed. I hear you on getting pissed off. All those f'ers that can eat big macs etc and stay skinny suck. I wish people would just say, don't eat that shit it will kill you. Your almost to onederland so keep it up man. I am excited for you.

GeneTheK said...

Also think about how your body will react to such vile (but as you said deliciously smelling) food. Think about the dude from Super Size Me throwing up out his window at the drive-thru.

Treat yourself with a homemade burger on the Foreman Grill. Hell, even give yourself an extra slice of cheese.

I guess my point is try not to make your indulgences easy to get. The less convenient they are they less likely and less frequently you'll slip and fall.

Great post.

Rebecca said...

I like this post too. I remember the days of feeling like a workout entitled me to eat what I want. That attitude kept my weight stable, but it didn't get me the body that I said I wanted.

You are certainly entitled to all those things. I like how losing weight has taught you to value yourself more highly and see yourself more clearly. I definitely see you as a man who gets things done.