Wednesday, January 5, 2011

I'm mad as hell...

...And I'm not gonna take it anymore!

Today's Weigh In: 287.1

This message is addressed to the motherfu... err....Man in the Mirror.

Alright Self. Can you see what you've done here? Is it obvious enough for you? At one point you weighed over 300 lbs. Then you got down to 185...and now you're at 287. Congratulations on giving back nearly all of the progress you made. Congratulations on the fact that you went from 44 waisted pants to 32 waisted pants...and now you're back in 40s. Dammit what happened to your old motto: "Do Something?"

Oh, wait a minute. I know what happened. You did something. The WRONG thing. Eating too much of the wrong stuff. Making excuses instead of an effort. Sure, you're busy but DAMN. You made promises to yourself. Some of them you did well on. You got your bachelor's degree just fine. A BA from Oakland U in May of 2010, just like you planned. You worked your ass off for that one, didn't you? Late nights were spent studying and you did so much writing that at least two people you know who have degrees in English freaked out when they saw it. It's just too bad that you spent most of your study time EATING.

Ya know, it's sad Self. If you had just spent a tenth of the time working on your weight that you did on school you'd be in great shape. You had ALREADY DONE THE HARD PART. Dammit, you were fifteen pounds from your eventual goal after losing over 100. The really bad part is that the doctor you talked to recommended a weight of about 180. You were almost there. The pattern was established. All you had to do was what you had been doing. Then what happened? You quit.

So, Self, you fucking fat-ass, we're gonna come up with a plan. There's no point in bitching if it's not going to change is it?

So here's the plan:

1.) The bad eating STOPS. No more midnight snacks. Junk food gets cut WAY down. Good food will be consumed in appropriate quantities.

2.) I don't think the walking will work anymore with the fact that my daughter is older and won't sit in a stroller, so it's time to do the Wii Fit you bought and never really used. Instead of miles walked, I can report the amount of time spent on the Wii. Maybe I can finally get the rhythm of that damned boxing game.

3.) Repeat

And that's all. Eat right and work out and I'll get there right?

If you're reading this, I need your help too. Keep me honest. If I have a bad day don't hesitate to give me shit about it. It helps, believe me. Accountability is the only way to stay focused. Ultimately, I have to be accountable to myself, but it helps if you keep me accountable too. It's time to get things pointed back in the right direction. It's time to, once again, Do Something.

7 comments:

Michael Boldt said...

Go JIMBO! You can do it brother, like you said you did it once. Don't get to hard on yourself that you back slid, eating can be an addiction and sometimes it takes a couple shots to quit an addiction, I know. The right thing is you are back on it and are going to do something about it. Keep it up man- and yeah, if you need an ass kicking, I might not be able to drive to your house, but I'll call you on your crap right here. Be honest.

Jim McCoy said...

Thanks Mike. That's exactly what I need.

nicole said...

I'm proud of you honey. I know it isn't easy, especially living with a pregnant wife who loves eating. Hang tough...your THREE girls need you. (me and your two daughters!)

Kristen said...

At least you know it can be done now. I know I was once at the point where I thought it was hopeless. Once I was able to achieve my goals, I realized it was just a matter of simply making it a priority.

Unfortunately, I'm pretty much in the same boat as you. Starting over...yet again. Good luck. You can do it!

Geoff said...

Welcome back! Accountability is a big part of this, so take advantage of all the accountability you can find. It might be a good idea to look around and see if there are any groups dealing with food issues that meet in your area that can provide some additional support and accountability. It's your health (and life) on the line, and it's not something that should be taken lightly, especially as someone who has young children that rely on him. What you do about it now can change the course of yours and their lives. Take the time to educate yourself about what food is truly healthy and what isn't (hint: meat and vegetables, nuts and seeds, some fruit, little starch, no sugar. Basic rule for healthy eating. If it comes in a box or bag throw it out). Reset your palate to enjoy real food instead of sugar and junk, and it will make your goals a lot easier to reach. Good luck!

Michael Boldt said...

Alright Jimbo- where's the updates? How did the weekend go. Gotta check in so we can keep you straight brother.

Becky Antcliff said...

Duuude! It's good to see you back! I think the FAT bug has gotten back into a lot of us old FAT Coalitioners. :) (And I mean that in more ways than one!)

Let's do this. 2011 is the year to right the ship. We did it before, we sure as hell can do it again.